Violinist Rachel Barton Pine loves playing challenging music (and apparently, being on Classical Classroom, as this is her third time on the show). So it makes sense that she would want to play the musical equivalent of running a marathon for her latest album: Bel Canto Paganini: 24 Caprices. In this episode, Rachel talks about who Paganini was. As it turns out, he was much more than just a classical music proto-goth with what some thought was a supernatural ability to play the violin.
Episode Track List:
- Bach’s Well Tempered Clavier C major prelude book 1
- Chopin’s C major Etude, Op 10, No.1, played by Vladimir Ashkenazy
- Chopin/Bach, played by Kana Mimaki
- Al-Zand Pattern Prelude No. 1 (after Bach), played by DiLiberto
- Schumann Album Leaves Op. 124, No. 17, played by Denes Varjon
Audio production by Todd “Sheriff Harry S. Truman” Hulslander with from Dacia Clay.