Cover of cellist (and – we suspect – part-time lumberjack), Matt Haimovitz’s new CD. Courtesy of Oxingale/Pentatone.
Cellist Matt Haimovitz has grappled with Bach’s Cello Suites for decades. He first recorded them in 2000. He’s dedicated his new second recording of the Suites to Anna Magdalena, Bach’s second wife, who copied Bach’s manuscripts. Haimovitz talks about how Anna Magdalena’s transcriptions became his spirit guide on a quest to gain a greater understanding of the Gospel of Bach.
Music in this episode:
- Excerpts from J.S. Bach, The Cello Suites According to Anna Magdalena. Matt Haimovitz.
- Excerpts from J.S. Bach, 6 Suites for Cello Solo. Matt Haimovitz.
- J.S. Bach, Suite 1. Pablo Casals.
- That one sound effect from Law and Order, created by Mike Post.
- Philip Glass, Orbit. Matt Haimovitz.
Audio production by Todd “Toddtober” Hulslander with smashing of pumpkins by Dacia Clay, and editing by Mark DiClaudio.
For more Matt Haimovitz: www.matthaimovitz.com
Thumbnail photo by Stephanie Mackinnon. Courtesy of the artist’s website.